Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: 9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Sweet! Thanks for sharing! The driver pics indicates they're much newer, so will need the date codes stamped on the components (391...) to 'nail it down'.

    GM

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm jealous. forums

    Very nice. Agree with GM- these are newer,closer to 1980 plus or minus.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just stripped one of them completely and have guts all over the pool table. Can't locate a 391 number anywhere on any of the components.
    I can find small box type marks with what appears to be an A something with a 71 under it. and there is a number on the cone of the woofer.
    I cannot read a number stamped in red on the particle board back just below the tag with the serial number, it is too faded.
    Here are better pics of the HF drivers.

    2

    3

    I have yet to ID these drivers for sure.

    Gary

  4. #24
    Inactive Member nairam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    gary thanks for the pictures from the front these look same as mine (less the pretty veneer) but the drivers look differnt? mine says 414-8B seril*7367and compression driver says 823 and 23746 and diaphragm seems to be 391448 maybe this could help someone properly identify yours and my sysems and get the pros and cons of both also i have another number 23743 must be horn *** .(this is more fun than going to the fair)

    (

  5. #25
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    According to the 1975 Altec component cross reference, the numbers you've given all appear to match the original components they used in the 9849A. If the diaphragm that has the 391448 number on it is the original, it would indicate a manufacture date of December, 1974 (at least for the diaphragm, and likely very close for the whole system).

    I don't have any 414-8Bs, but will start looking for one.

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Hmm, no EIA date code eh? The plot thickens! forums (thinking out loud) they were still using it in '84 IIRC, so did they quit at some later date, making these even more recent? But wait! Your pic is of an 802-8G (except with a loading cap due to the high XO point) from the late '70s (~'77-80) and the woofer is a 414-8C which didn't debut until the early '80s IIRC, so what gives?

    GM

  7. #27
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought this pair because of the Oak veneer and figured they would look sweet stacked on top of my model 15s. They do and they kick out alot more bass then the 15s. Actually sound quite nice when played together as well.
    I can see numbers on the underside of the diaphram but tuff to read without a mag glass.
    I still can't see any 391 numbers anywhere and just don't know where to look for them. The 15s have them on everything.
    I have a buddy who has the 9849-As like yours in the utility cabinets and his drivers are all different then what we have, 902s for HF I think and two different Woofs not original.
    I am absolutely certain I was the first to ever open mine and they are all as they came from the factory. Never have seen HF drivers with the black cap over the diaphram and suspect they are 806 versions but not 100% on this. Think the size of the motor tells the driver and thats 2 3/16" if I am measuring correctly.

    Gary

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    If you look at the catalogues of 1974 ,1975 ,1978
    you will find in 1974 (414-8B) 1975 and 1978 (414-8C)

    They probably had an inventory of 414-8B when the company shifted to 414-8C somewhere in 1975. This is the only plausible explannation.The tech sheet from 1975 list the 414-8B for all the models of 9849.

    .................................................

  9. #29
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    But wait! Your pic is of an 802-8G (except with a loading cap due to the high XO point) from the late '70s (~'77-80)

    But wait a bit longer! My 15s have 802-8Gs and so do my 19s and these are alot different.
    Motor is shorter and the phase plugs on these, under the caps & diaphrams are metal instead of the famed Tangerines, that like to unglue themselves BTW.

    I did not say there is no 391 number on these but I just don't have a clue where to search for it. Could be a skirt I have to lift but I am not normally that kind of fellow. Most of my Altec girls display the 391 number openly! These do not unless it is the numbers I can't read stamped in red on the rear of the particle board under the serial and model number tag.
    The guy I got them from says they were installed in the mid 70s and never moved until I got them.
    They were hung high so no damage to exterior until seller slid them accross the floor. Even the original grill fabric is gorgeous and tag logos are in place. Some sellers should be banned from touching nice stuff!

    11

    12

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9849-A studio monitor need help please'''??


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The black cap is called a loading cap. They were actually quite common. Use was on again off again on the 806, I've seen them both ways.

    The shorter motor could be 806 instead of 802,I don't have the dimensions handy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.